I am an adament supporter of people's rights to form their own opinions and act accordingly. I would register voters even if I knew they would not agree with me. I value the diversity of Californian society because it keeps my white bread from being the only thing on the menu. In this one cause, I cannot stand by and let someone else define the most critical unit of society: the family.
Proposition 8 adds this line to the California constitution: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California." It is not an anti-gay measure. All rights of domestic partnerships will be preserved. It simply and permanently clarifies that "marriage" includes a man and a woman. Other family arrangements can and do exist and that will not change. But for me, marriage is a binding covenant between a man and a woman that forms the legal and social basis of a new family. It is not to be taken lightly. At this critical juncture, I will stand up respectfully and say "YES ON 8."
There are many implications if the measure should fail, some obvious and some less so. It definitely reaches beyond the marriage licensees themselves. I am not a fan of exaggerated emotional appeals and scare tactics, and I hope people will take the time to sort the issues out themselves. A good place to start is What is Prop 8? - Articles, Research, and Viewpoints.
Have a vote. Have a voice. Be strong. Make a choice.
This one gets a standing ovation! We're behind you 100%!
ReplyDelete