Sunday, November 23, 2008

Well, I didn't get that gene.


When I was in Utah a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at my Adamson grandparents house. You may have heard me refer to Gma A as my "Martha Stewart grandma" because she is truly a decorating diva. The doorknobs are coordinated with the tiles and the towels, she has a special combination of dishes for every eating arrangement, and each season requires practically remaking the whole house. Dust is afraid to settle on her property. Everything in her house is either hand made or expensive, and all of it is off-lmits to touching. Gpa A says they have to move every few years so she will have a new place to decorate. This is their second year in the current configuration of rooms- a moderately sized condo in Layton.

Speaking of decorating, as I was there on the day after Halloween, I offered to help with the turnover from Halloween to Thanksgiving decorations. I figured it wouldn't be too bad, as all of the "Fall" leaves and pumpkins and scarecrows were already out, and the ghosts and witches just had to be exchanged for pilgrims and turkeys. 3 Hefty bins later, Grandma exclaimed with dismay, "There's so little stuff for such a big room!" I thought of my single jack-o'lantern Welcome sign, which was on my gate and not even in the house, and realized I'd better just give up- decorating may be a passion you are born with, but apparently it isn't genetic!

No comments:

Post a Comment