Sunday, April 3, 2011

Humility

"It's hard to be humble when you are as great as I am."  -Muhammed Ali

Ok, I'm not that great- and not much of a boaster.  Still, it's hard to be humbled, even when it is needed medicine.

It started on Friday with a meeting called by one of my most difficult parents.  Fortunately, she asked her advocate to represent her instead of arriving herself.  Usually an advocate is just a hired bully, but this particular one is a mediator and strives to be fair.  The outcome of the discussion was that although I am a reasonably good therapist, I am not warm and fuzzy enough and need to 1) triple my communication efforts with this difficult parent, 2) sign my emails with smiley faces.  Seriously??  Oookay.....

Saturday was a good hiking day but a serious social setback.  The guy who recently caught my eye clearly had his attention elsewhere.  It didn't help that apparently I can still get carsick on winding roads... yuck...

Sunday I was all set to have a bad day, upset about parts 1 & 2.  Woe is me, blah, blah.  Every person who spoke in church talked about some serious problem- illness, losing a job, moving, being estranged from family, not going to church for decades.  One person talked about how a priesthood blessing from a home teacher had changed her life when she was going through a hard time.  My home teacher is going through chemotherapy.  So what if one parent and one guy don't like me?  I would be embarrassed to call that a hard time! In fact, it's not even worth getting worked up over.  If I'm home alone, it's because I choose it; if I feel distant from God, it's probably because I haven't checked in for a while. I have lots of family and friends that DO like me (I think.). My difficulties are so small in relation to others, that though they make me cry, I would gladly choose them over any one else's burdens.
So that's it.  Woe does not fit. Humble does.  I am just too blessed to have a bad day!

4 comments:

  1. I can't speak for anyone else, but I like you!

    Oh, and the smiley face thing? Absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I love you! You are a fabulous Aunt and my kids adore you! I am sorry for your bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may not be tall dark and handsome, but I love ya! There's always someone with a greater challenge than you, but that doesn't diminish the fact that they are still challenges to you- Way to rise above! Could always be worse- You could own a cat. Wish I could help. I'll just leave an offer for a vacation location on the table! For a few more months anyway... Then it's back on the table by about October! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smile, keep your heads up high! Everyone goes through bad days. You're awesome and I like you!

    ReplyDelete