I'm a sucker for water and fireworks, for city lights and novel experiences. When the chance came up to go on a NYE cruise in San Francisco Bay, I jumped on board. It didn't hurt that the SF midsingles sponsored it, either. My friends Paula and Amanda joined me.
On the way in, Amanda called to say the neighborhood of the motel looked dodgy- great, that's all we need. But when we went in, someone had taken a lot of care to make the place look cute. Paula exclaimed "It looks like they raided Ikea! I love Ikea! I love this place!" It turned out to be a perfect little spot, and only dodgy on the downhill side.
We stopped to watch a fire dancer on the sidewalk. The crowd was cold and quiet. I pulled out one of my two talents and whooped it up for him. He appreciated it enough to wave fire in my face, which made me squeal. Everybody laughed and he gave me a high five. How's that for hot?
Although there were glaringly few people on the cruise, we had a good time. The fireworks were some of the best ever. We were as close as the Coast Guard would allow as we watched them from the uncrowded, very cold boat, while half of Northern California watched from the jam-packed Embarcadero. Incredible!
p.s. I don't know how many dozens of times I've driven over the Bay Bridge, gritting my teeth and anxious to get off. This was the first time I ever stopped at Treasure Island, and I have to say it was WORTH IT! The views are gorgeous!
No comments:
Post a Comment