Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ms. N's Valentine's Day

This is why I like being a school speech therapist.

As my group of second graders glued pink hearts on their paper valentines (fortunately, Valentines require some form of writing and can therefore be considered a literacy activity), they inadvertently opened the can of worms forbidden even to my family.

2nd grader A, busy gluing her fingers together: Are you going to make a Valentine for your husband?
Ms. N: No, I'm not married.
2nd grader B, writing her name from right to left: Yes you are!
Ms. N: (surpised) Really? (checks finger for unnoticed rock) I don't think so.
2A to 2B: Nuh- uh! She lives alone.
Ms. N: Actually, I live with some friends.
2A: Are they girl friends?
Ms. N: Yes.
2A: You live with your GIRLFRIEND?
Ms. N: yeah, no, um... just friends that are girls.
2B: How come you aren't married?
Ms. N: Well, that's a million dollar question.
2B: Is it cuz your boyfriend is too old?
Ms. N (startled by this previously unconsidered potential complication): Nope, I don't have that problem.
2A: I know. It's cuz you're too young to get married.
Ms. N (smiling): Yes, that must be it.
2A: So pretty soon you'll get old and then you'll get married and have some kids?
Ms. N: (sort of smiling) Uh, possibly. And apparently in that order. Unless you guys make me reconsider.
2A & 2B: Ok!

2 comments:

  1. That was TOO funny!! Kids will catch you off guard sometimes. You're Awesome, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of kids just automatically assume that if you're a grown-up, you're married. When I taught high school, my 14- and 15-year-old freshman always called me Mrs. L. I'd correct them occasionally, except that then they wanted to know about my dating life. And, believe or not, I preferred not to discuss my dating life with my students!

    ReplyDelete