Monday, January 18, 2010

I've gone over to the dark side. . .

and now there's no turning back.

(Caution:  Twilight purists skip this clip. Everyone else: ROTFL, for sure.)


Twilight Years from Tom on Vimeo.

So, here's how it works in Mormon culture. 
For the last 10 years, I've been in a Young Single Adult ward.  That means that my whole congregation is 18-30 year old single people.  It is equal parts social life and spiritual direction.  There are tons of activities because, frankly, we're the only people we know that have fun without drinking.  They make up assignments like "assistant mover to the Elder's Quorum President" because there are no kids or youth programs and everybody needs to do something.  It's really, really quiet during Sacrament Meeting.  And church is always at 1:00.
If you are really good at math, you may have noticed that I am in dangerous territory:  I am 32, which is clearly more than 30.  By Mormon standards, I've entered the "twilight years."  Although I love, love the River City Ward and my friends there, it's getting a little weird.  The youngsters that started this year were still toddling around preschool when I graduated from high school.  I've been in the YSA ward for their entire public lives.  They're cool now, but I feel like I should warn them:
DATE! DATE! IF YOU DON'T FIND  A MATE, THAN THIS IS YOUR FATE!!

Of course, there are other places to go to church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the same whether you go Sacramento, Georgia, or Zimbabwe.  So I've decided to test out its truenicity in the Northridge Ward, the "family" ward which geographically includes the Casita.  It's almost like going to church for the first time in a foreign country.  It seems familiar, except little odd details keep popping up.  Like they accepted donations for scouting- and for a funeral fund.  There are babies and old people and teenagers, so when I get tired of one distraction in the meeting, I can easily switch to another.  The deacons are really short- because they're really 12.  Sacrament meeting is quiet for 2 minute intervals.  All those people who got married and dropped off the face of the earth over the years are finally acounted for. 9:00 a.m. is an acceptable start time.  And all those things I have gradually adjusted to in the YSA universe suddenly make me maladjusted.  I know it's not true, but I feel like the only one who walks in the door alone.

Don't be afraid, little freshmen kind.  Just remember, you can only be 18 for so long.  I made it 14 years.  But now....
I know what you are.
You're- in the [gasp] family ward.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the dark side! It's a great place to be. Quite frankly, I always thought it was a little weird to go to church with all single people, so I was actually pretty relieved to turn 31 and no longer feel any pressure to be there.

    Love the video clip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! That video was hilarious! Good luck getting ready for church by 9:00 am, but I have total faith in you! You make me laugh! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just passing this by and boy I've been kind of laughing!! Even though it isn't close captioned, it still made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post was billiant. Maybe I'll be joining you on the dark side before too long myself.

    ReplyDelete