Before there was digital sharing, before memory cards, before date stamping, there was MASS CONFUSION-- and some '80s style Nebeker kids. It is a well known fact that an increase in children actually leads to a decrease in photos. For some of the middle kids, that means there are very few pictures indeed. This dilemma is confounded in the Merced Nebeker household by a curious and unexplainable preference for slides. What are slides, you might ask? Well, it's kind of like powerpoint, but each picture had to be stored on a separate card. Since there were no computers, they were put in a special projector, often backward and always out of order, which could reveal the images by shining a bright light through them onto a screen. Slides appear to have been created in order to efficiently bore a larger percentage of one's friends with travel photos, and to eliminate the potential urge for scrapbooking.
Since very few of us carry lightbulbs and projectors in our pockets, slides were usually developed months after the picture was taken, tossed in a box, and never seen again.
Until now. I have obtained the box.
In the process of scanning the old slides, I have rediscovered a few critical events, long lost to memory:
![]() |
| My baptism (c. 1985)- I think this is the first time I have seen a picture. |
![]() |
| Todd is born. (c. 1984) |
| Uncle Larry decides "These kids are so cute, I think I'll have 6 of my own!" (c. 1980) |
Answered some long-standing questions:
And found a few surprises:
Yes, grandpa had a beard! Mom does bunny ears?? |
![]() |
| Yes, I wore the "yellow polka dot bikini." |










Wowzers! Those are some awesome pictures! I especially love the wallpaper in the last one! I am so glad you are taking on this project. You will have to put them on a CD or something so we can see them all. And yes, we'd love to see them at the next part-ae! Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteThat's so awesome!! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete