Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fantasy weekend

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen! Grab your tickets for the fantasy version of Hi-D Lite! Here the impossible becomes reality and the mundane becomes fantastic.  Made possible by the myth and magic of Friday the 13th.

The first sign that reality was shifting was the blind date.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I said a date.  As in a single guy brave enough to contact a girl and ask her out, based solely on the suggestion of a mutual friend.  As long as we are stretching the imagination, let's make him a decent, interesting, employed person as well.  I hear your shocked gasps.  Has Hi-D Lite drifted into the realm of pure fiction?  No!  I assure you, it is the truth!

Said person received tickets in exchange for doing some work on the trucks of a traveling show.  Not being a fan of art or theater himself, and not familiar with the odd wording, he had no idea what the show was but asked if I would be interested.  You can bet I was interested.  He was holding tickets to another world: seats for Quidam by Cirque du Soleil!

After dinner, we made our way in his larger-than-life lifted truck to Power Balance Pavillion (which will always be Arco Arena in my heart) and were able to get perfect, front row, unobstructed seats.  Every element of this world of imagination inspired amazement.  People flew, flipped, floated, twisted, danced, rolled, transformed, and disappeared in ways that could only happen in a fantasy.  Jump rope was elevated to an art form, chinese yo-yos were literally taken to new heights, unbelievably flexible bodies performed feats of balance and strength. Even the stage seemed impossibly suspended, along with all notions of reality.

Blog readers can get a little taste of the fantastical here:



Although my date and I didn't have a lot in common, I was delighted by the spectacle and creativity of the show. But is that all?  No, no, there is still weekend left!  Come this way for a free-floating adventure of an entirely different sort!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a lucky girl. I'm so jealous. I really want to see one of their shows.

    ReplyDelete