Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mucho Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo is Mexican for "the Americans need margaritas."  I often ask my Mexican-born students, and they frequently say they never celebrated the day until they moved to the States.  It actually means "5th of May" and honors an improbable Mexican victory in a battle against the French.  But hey, if other Americans are like me, they would rather eat tamales than escargot. I say that's a worthwhile holiday.

So, because my friend asked me to, and because karma encourages me to be a good wingman, we hosted a 5th Fiesta at the Casita.  The mother of one of my students is saving her tamale-making money to take her children to Disneyland.  I'm more than happy to support her endeavor.  Between her work and my guests' contributions, we had a delicious dinner of tamales, rice and beans, salad, and dessert, followed by a loud game of Party Playoff.  Ironically, the two people who signed up for the obvious choices, chips/salsa and drinks, didn't bring their stuff.  And also ironically, the co-host who needed something to invite a boy to, went out with him beforehand and they both almost missed dinner!

Of course, nothing can be simple.  My parents were flying out that day to see my brother Mark's graduation.  They needed me to take them to the airport, and met me at school.  Knowing I would be driving their car home, I dropped my car off on Wednesday at the shop for a minor bumper repair that has been pending for quite a while.  Shortly after I walked home on Wednesday, Annie's car limped in, overheating.  We were both carless on the same day, stuck!  A friend came with coolant and the last minute party supplies- saved! Thursday then turned into Dia Loca: get a ride to work, excessively early; administer STAR tests;  return an unusually high volume of calls to unsatisfied parents; go to an IEP meeting, which thankfully ended on time; meet my parents, drop them at airport; go home and prep for the party; feed people as they trickle in; enjoy friends; clean up; collapse.  Did you notice what was missing?  Oh yah- pick up my own car! I couldn't quite fit it in, so I left it at the shop for an early pickup on Friday.

Gracias, Mexicanos, por compartir su victoria y su comida.  La Casitas disfruita de una fiesta!
Thanks for giving us a reason to party!

No comments:

Post a Comment