Tuesday, March 27, 2012

50 by 50!

The concept is so obvious, so simple, that if I had ever acknowledged that I could possibly turn 50 myself, I would have thought of it. Instead, it was suggested by the garrulous volunteer grandma at my school, who is retired and looking back at things she should have looked forward to.  A well-traveled mark before I reach the well-worn mark:  50 states in 50 years.

Now, I'm not going to set out like my whack-a-lack friend RJ, who used two bee-line trips to visit highway in every state for at least two miles over the course of two weeks.  Highway tends to be the least interesting part of a state.  Nor will I be like the couple I met in Yosemite, who were well along their list of visiting every National Park.  I'm all for nature's beauty, but they rented a motor home and went park to park for a month.  After that many parks, how can you remember what is what?

No, I will keep with my philosophy of taking advantage of opportunities that come up and making opportunities when time permits.  I'm not even moving stateside travel above  foreign dreams on my wish list.  Still, I think it is doable.  As you can see from the new sidebar map, I already have 22 under my belt.  A cross country drive with Shannon Simmons and a church history trip with my family helped quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to Spring break with Todd & Ashley in New England, so there's another couple states down.  Obviously, I've never had much cause to go to the South, but I'm sure something will come up.  And (in spite of the impending birthday) I'm still a heck of a long way from 50- and apparently, from Florida.

Cheer me along!  Follow my adventures here on the blog, invite me to visit you, or join me on a trip!  Hawaii over Memorial Day, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Go for it! And don't forget to occasionally invite me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we lived somewhere more exotic (or more southern) to help you on your quest, but we certainly love following your adventures! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a blast! I have a goal to take a picture of every US capitol building.

    ReplyDelete