Yes. No. Well, sort of. It was my birthday. But not in true birthday style. A major perk or problem of having a birthday at the end of May is that it is often on Memorial Day weekend. Mischievous Leap Year robbed me of the actual Monday Birthday, after I had been waiting for it since 2006. Now I will have to keep waiting until 2017. Boo. And I will wait until at least 2013 to make a better showing for my birthday.
I could have done something, but picked quiet instead. I didn't have a party or open presents or even eat cake. I didn't go to Hawaii, although I had a friend getting married there. I did a little shopping. I let the smooth talking European girl at the mall kiosk polish my nails. I blew out candles in my Birthday Fruit on Monday (thanks to my friend Michelle!). On Tuesday, I went to a rare mandatory evening meeting for work- and was bored completely out of my mind. Lame. I opened a lot of cards (thanks to my lovely family and friends). I was acknowledged by 62 Facebook friends. At other times, I went to two different movies with friends, tying my last summer total. Not bad.
Fortunately, not being able to celebrate on Tuesday gave me the luxury of designating Thursday as the day to sleep in a bit, splurge on dinner, and do something special. In an act of perfect timing, I got free tickets to my favorite theater, the ever delightful and unique California Shakespeare Theater. Michelle and I were charmed with the clever ballet-trained spirits in an enchanting production of the Tempest. And, whether I acknowledged it or not, there was a birthday in there somewhere.
p.s. In researching the last Monday, May 29, I found an astounding number of Americans who believed there actually was one this year. Among my you-should-know-better favorites: The Idaho Press-Tribune, a teacher's union, and an astrology website. Come on people, JFK and I remind you that this is an important day, so get it straight!

Sounds like some good celebrating got done someway, somehow! Hope you know how loved you are!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your special day with me! It was an honor!! :)
ReplyDelete