Saturday, April 11, 2009

The grass is not always greener on the other side...

especially if you are a plant.

Our neighbors have a lush tropical paradise in their tiny patio space, covered in bamboo and well tended, flourishing plants of all varieties. I have one bush and 10 feet of barren dirt.
One of the neighbors' plants was apparently suicidal. I know it was suicidal, because it kept trying to crawl over the fence. It started out just peeking over, then it got one arm over the fence, then it tried jumping. The first time we found it hanging crazily half out of its pot on the fence rail, the neighbor tucked it back into its cozy bed. A few days later, the plant made a successful escape, hurling itself over the fence towards hard concrete, toxic soil, and oblivion. We didn't even notice it for a couple of days. The neighbor, recognizing that even the best plant whisperer can't save them all, told us to keep the unstable plant. At first, I tried to recreate its former home, dubiously repotting it near the window. After only a little neglect, it made another dive for the concrete. Frustrated, I plopped it down in the middle of the flowerbed that even the irises won't return to. I left it there- dry, ignored, and lonely- and figured it was only a matter of time before the plant succumbed to the forces that have wiped out dozens of other flora in the same space.
Yeah, well, the dang thing is growing. Go figure. I guess nothing rekindles the fight for life like coming face to face with death. I felt guilty for ignoring the thing, so I spent the better part of Saturday putting other plants in the flower bed so it looks a little more intentional. Too soon to tell if they'll survive, but their rehabbed buddy gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment