Ok, so I have a little trouble with combination locks. I had two, and I could never keep the two combinations straight. One day I spent twenty minutes in the gym trying to unlock it, and finally had to get the girl with the HUGE, uh, bolt cutters come and cut it off. I stopped on the way home and immediately bought a lock that allows you to set the combination. I set it, and haven't had any trouble for about a year.
Until last night. I was making a token payment on the guilt bill from dinner at Garcia's. When I couldn't get into my locker, I realized that the little switch had been flipped that resets the combination. When you close the lock, whatever it is set to is the new combo. I briefly considered trying all 9999 possibilities, while siting on the floor and getting dripped on by some old lady's towel, but that was never going to work. So I went, redfaced, and pulled the kid on duty away from his impressive biceps friends to cut the lock off. The lock worked in that I never forgot the combination, but it failed to spare me the embarrassment of bolt cutters!
Heidi! I love your stories. I've never had to get bolt cutters, but only hardly use locks.
ReplyDeleteKaren
I have a much more embarassing story about cutting locks off with bolt cutters. I'll tell you about it the next time I see you!
ReplyDelete