Just when the possibility of catching up to the first day of school was within reach, I was called for jury duty. In theory, I like the system of a jury of one's peers. In practice, I'm less fond of the system when the peer is me.
The one day, one trial method is easy enough. You have a week in flux, when your group could be called in at any time. If you manage to sit through one entire day without getting placed on a jury, you won't get called again for 12 months. It's a gamble, though- if you get picked for a trial, your one day could stretch out for months.
The waiting is boring, but I used it to my advantage- catching up on email and blogging about another conversation buzz-kill - toilets. Let me say it one more time: I love my netbook! There are other advantages, too: free parking in the lot that costs most people a day's pay, meeting Amber for lunch at Danielle's Creperie, reading a whole book for no reason, happening on a farmer's market at lunch. I pretended I was a downtowner; the friendly, flat-shoe secretary kind, not the uptight pencil skirt kind. Then I pretended I was a tourist and took a tour of the capital gardens.
Apparently, my downfall is the last group of the day. Two times in a row I've been called in just when the end was in sight. Last time I got excused because I was headed to Monterey the next week and would have had to give up the job. This time I had to sit through three days before the jury was filled. I probably would have been dismissed if I had been called up. It looked to be a long trial and I was sitting there unpaid, and civic responsibility only goes so far.
I found it amusing that both the prosecution and the defense asked the potential jurors if they watch shows like CSI. Who doesn't? Then the lawyers tried to ascertain if watching the shows had created any bias towards themselves, which probably depends on whether the people are fans of CSI or Jersey Shore. If TV created any unrealistic expectations, it was for the poor jurors, who were thinking this would be glamorous and exciting!
Glamorous or not, jury duty is part of what makes America great. Well, at least it allows the accused innocent until proven guilty in front of 12 people who want no part of the defendant's peer group and weren't convincing enough to get themselves released. Close enough.
The first time I was ever able to report for jury duty (i.e., the first time I wasn't living out of state for school), my group was the first one called! I had barely had time to get out my book! I was even more surprised when they seated me on the panel. I didn't necessarily want to get out of it, but when I had to answer yes to questions like, "Have you ever been the victim of a crime?", and "Have any of your family members ever served time in prison?" (stepbrother, if you're curious), I was pretty sure I'd be dismissed. The trial lasted three or four days, and I found it pretty interesting. Of course, it was much less inconvenient for me than for most, since I was still getting paid, someone else handled all of the time-sensitive stuff at work so I didn't have to worry about it, and the courthouse was only three blocks from my office, so I didn't even have to reschedule my lunch plans. Maybe I should have them put me on the "frequent juror" list. I've always felt bad that I can't give blood, so this could be my substitute civic duty.
ReplyDeleteI think I'll stick to giving blood! Way to be civic!
ReplyDelete