Friday, March 6, 2009

Blame Eragon if I haven't called you back.

I roll most of my calls somewhere on the 30-45 minute commute home. I could do it in the morning, but mentally picking a book to read with my first group is as close as I get to lesson plans. I have a bluetooth headset, so I'm (mostly) legal. Lately though, I've been getting behind. Why? It's Eragon's fault.

The blasted dragon rider has 3 books. The last of which, Brisingr, is 23 CDs long!! Listening to the books keeps me from getting agitated in traffic and spares me the unpleasantness of trying to make imaginary spellings phonetically possible. Especially in the rainy season, I need something to help pass the time in the car. It does not save me any time, though, as I frequently find myself in the parking lot hoping Eragon will eventually get to some resolution, some how.
Lack of resolution is how I got roped into this saga in the first place. Being too cheap to buy CDs I will only listen to once, I get them from the library. Unfortunately, I was happily going through book 2 when I suddenly ran out of CDs. Not that I lost any; the book just stops in the middle of a battle- leaving Eragon in the middle of a war, with an unresolved girl, unresolved secrets, a suddenly returned long lost relative, and no apparent plan. Arrgh, Dragon Rider, don't leave me hanging like that! Of course, I immediately put my name on the waiting list for Brisingr at the library, but I was 73 in line for 8 copies. So for the last 4 months, Eragon has been hanging out on the back of a dragon, waiting for his enemy to attack, and there was nothing I could do about it. Well, I could read the book, but then I'd have to deal with all those unpleasant spellings, and people generally frown on reading and driving at the same time.

So when my number came up, I had to immediately get the dragon out of the perpetual holding pattern. And therefore, your calls have been on hold. We're still fricai, right? (hey, "friends" isn't phonetic either.)

Read it? Love it? Hate it? Just watched the movie and think that's all there is to it? Anyone else following the dragon rider?

3 comments:

  1. Note to the usually word wise Mr. Paolini: trilogy = THREE. Not four. I am not excited that I now have to wait for you to write and name and publish and get recorded and send to a long waiting list at my library the as yet unnamed Book 4. That better be it, mister. No more leaving me hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi - I'm going to need a good escapist book come April - would you recommend this? I wasn't thrilled with the movie. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is better than the movie, but I still wouldn't recommend it overly much. You pretty much have to commit to the whole series, which is a substantial amount of reading with more to come. But it is well written for fantasy.

    ReplyDelete