Monday, June 22, 2009

It's summer- why are you still here?

I did all my traditional summer school start up things this week: took a long drive, unpacked, met my new roommate, found my new school site using GPS, scheduled, met the staff, rescheduled, met the kids, rescheduled, went to the water, went out to dinner, went kayaking. The main difference this year is where I'm staying-- in my own house!

In March, I was asked back to do a third year of summer school for Monterey County Office of Education, my favorite sweet working holiday. All the plans were set and I was ready to go, when at the last minute, budget cuts forced Monterey to eliminate the position. Panicked by the thought of my garden having to sustain me all summer, I started searching for anything in the area. Fortunately, the Rocklin school district SLPs are apparently rich enough to live in Rocklin without working summers. They hired me on the day before I left for vacation. I started literally 7hours after making it back from Yellowstone. One week down, three to go, and it has been going as well as can be expected when you don't know what you are doing! I don't know what I have against working in my own county, but I'll take what I can get. At least I won't have to eat the calla lillies.

*For a great review of Yellowstone, see Ruthie's blog. I was having so much fun, I didn't bother with pictures. But it was great to see all the Nebs together (minus Alan, of course, who's on a mission). And my nieces and nephews are so dang cute!!

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, am glad you're sticking around (although I wouldn't have minded having someone to visit in Monterey!). And, actually, I think Rocklin is in Placer County--so you do get a change of county for the summer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Washington is Yolo county. Rocklin is Placer County. Salinas is Monterey county. I've worked for three districts in the last 4 years, and none of them is in my own county!

    ReplyDelete