Sunday, August 9, 2009

Let's Talk Trek


The Why
First, a little background. After the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the members (often called "Mormons") were driven from state to state by perscution and injustice. In 1846, most of them were living in Illinois. They had sufficiently irritated the neighbors to the point that the Govenor issued an "extermination order" for any Mormon in the state. They were forced to flee their homes and cities in the dead of winter. Shortly thereafter, a massive migration was organized as Brigham Young encouraged the Saints to gather to the distant desert of what is now Utah. Most came in wagon trains along the Mormon trail, including about 30 of my direct ancestors.
From 1856-1860, ten groups that were too poor to afford wagons pushed and pulled their meager belongings in handcarts. In honor of their sacrifice and faith, the Sacramento East stake organized a pioneer handcart trek for the youth and young single adults.
The Prep
Each member of the company had a five gallon bucket for all their personal items. I had no problem getting everything on the list in my bucket. It's easy to pack when you don't take any clothes, makeup, or entertainment! I wore this charming outfit for all three days. I know you wish you had one just like it.
Respect the bloomers! You can sleep in them and they keep your legs from getting NAAASTY. Still having a little trouble with the bonnet. I never was very good at hats.
The Peeps
My ward sent almost 40 people, which filled three carts. They called each cart a "family," and by the time we were done, we absolutely were. We have a beloved couple in our ward, the Stoeltzings, who even though they are in their late 70s, were staunch supporters of the trek from the beginning. When Sister Stoeltzing's health took a turn for the worse, they could not attend. We put their picture on each cart so they could "travel" with us. Aren't they sweet?
The Path
For three days (Aug.5-7), we pushed and pulled on a dirt path in the forest near Sly Park, starting on Mormon Emmigrant road. We topped out about 1.5 miles per hour, so 10 miles made for a long day. The uphill was hard, the downhill was a little dangerous, the scenery was beautiful, the dust was intense, and the waterfalls made the whole day worthwhile. At night we camped, shared stories about pioneers, danced at a hoedown, and ate "meager meals"- although bread, meat, and trail mix or broth and a roll does not seem like much for a Mormon activity, it was a lot more than the handcart pioneers had after their rations were halved again and again. With one lunch, they gave us a bag of unpeeled carrots. No one was hungry enough to eat them, so we obviously weren't starving! I did cut bread with hands so dirty that normally I would be disgusted, but I figured I had chewed so much trail dust already, a little more wouldn't hurt.
http://photographyyoufeel.com/trekpreview/
The Personal Effect
Today I am really thankful for a car, a bed, and a shower!! But even more, I am amazed and impressed by those who did this for three months, over mountain ranges and across desolate wastelands, without a water truck or Handiwipes. Many of them were sick, got frostbite, or even died along the way. They were people of faith, strength, and courage. Learning their stories and walking their path made me see them as real people, not just names on a page. I honor their legacy by facing my own challenges and saying "Tough, but at least it's not Nebraska!"

p.s. If you would like to know about specific pioneers, you can search here for individuals or companies. Nebs, ask me for stories. Adamsons, ask Gma A.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You made it! It kind of puts the drive across Nevada into perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete