Saturday, August 15, 2009

H&S Excellent Adventure- Day 2


D.C. WITH BUST

I was driving through more of Nowhere, Nevada while Shannon wisely slept.  Honestly, she wasn't missing anything.  Suddenly, she startled awake and nearly vaulted through the windshield.  She had dreamed that she was supposed to be driving and realized she was asleep.  After a moment of extreme panic, she curled up in her seat and went straight back to sleep.  That's why I'm here- to make sure Shannon separates the sleeping and the driving!

Today the rain caught up to us.  We got the tarp on, but it was promptly shredded as we drove to Orem.  We met up with Shannon's sister's family, who pointed us to the ubiquitous Walmart.  Her brother-in-law took on the master repacker job.  Tarp and duct tape save the day!  We love tarp.  

Then it started raining- inside the car! The amazing roof rack keeps the door from sealing tight.  Fortunately, my grandma had saved a special towel from 1962 just for this occasion.   Day saved again.
We found some paint and decorated the windows, which makes this feel like a real roadtrip.   Now when people get stuck behind us, instead of just staring worriedly at the National Lampoon-style body on the roof, they sometimes smile and wave.





The body on the roof is Marquette, shannon's other traveling companion.  Yeah, I'd better be nice to her or I might be next.... To make up for tying her to the roof, we found her a boyfriend in Aspen.  You know those Aspen boys, they are rich and handsome!

The drive on I 70  through Colorado is beautiful- red rocks give way to green and lush mountains.  Shannon served part of her mission in the Denver area, so for her it was a kind of homecoming.  She has kept in touch with a family called the Campbells, who are apparently the best hook up friends ever.   They graciously let us stay the night at their beautiful home, then insisted on using Marriott points for our hotel stay in Omaha.   NICE!

Two days down and we're still friends, so hopefully I can stay inside the car tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment