Now, why is that sitting down doing nothing all day is so exhausting when you're in the car? Days 3-6 went generally like this: Roll over, drag ourselves out to some sort of provided breakfast, adjust the car rack, gawk at the holes in the tarp, get in the car, argue with Bob (the unreliable GPS who changes his mind a lot), drive, listen to the Mikey's Masterful Playlist, get gas, switch drivers, drive, wave to truckers, wave to corn, wave to the far off horizon, drive, take pictures, drive.... until we pull into our destination and collapse. Shannon mixed it up by sometimes sleeping and sometimes singing along. I mixed it up by navigating from the right or the left seat. Every conversation started with the phrase "there's a short version of this story, but the long one is longer so I'll tell that!"
We saw some beautiful country, divided into the basic areas of tall mountains with trees, nasty Nevada, more tall mountains, flowered rolling hills, corn, little hills with trees. We ping-ponged between I-70 and I-80 everyday so we could get in a few highlights: our families in Utah; Shannon's friends in Aurora, CO and Oswego, IL; St. Louis (this whole long trip, and that's the only big destination I hadn't seen before); Nauvoo, IL; Winter Quarters and Omaha, NE; her family in Miamitown, OH. I'll let the photos and the map tell their own stories. All told, we passed through 14 states, traveled 36197 miles, took six days, ate 3 dozen cookies, got dozens of amused or confused looks, drove for roughly 52 hours, had a great time, and are still friends!!
No comments:
Post a Comment