Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Alexander and my kind of day

Judith Viorst created a classic children's story about Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I love the story because it is impossible for me to sustain negativity long enough to have that awful of a day. But sometimes I can see his point.

I woke up 2 hours early on Monday morning. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. I must be influenced by time in Australia.

All the clothes that were clean needed to be ironed. I wore them slightly wrinkled. There is no reason to introduce unnecessary heat so early in a day that will get to 102 degrees on its own.

I actually left for work a little early. Obviously, this was a bad decision. I had to stop at a green light to let three police cars through. The guy behind me didn't bother to stop. I saved him from hitting the cops but at the expense of my rear bumper. I did better driving in Australia!

Here's the good part of the day: the damage was minor, the guy stopped, he had insurance, and neither of us were hurt. You know it's a rough day when the highlight is sustaining minimal damage on the way to work.

At work, after filing a claim with the insurance company, I did as much as I could without a computer. I have a new assignment this year, and the computer assigned to the previous therapist somehow dissappeared between her leaving and me arriving. Ditto the copy code. So much for work. I'd rather be in Australia.

I convinced one of the teachers to let me use her computer. I almost wished I hadn't- over the weekend, 3 high intensity cases plonked into my schools, and an existing case threatened due process. My numbers were already high. The standard for a speech therapist is 55 students. I can manage 65 as long as everyone is polite. By Monday afternoon I was up to 73, and they keep pouring in. I wonder if numbers are this high in Australia? Probably not, since they don't have to teach medial /R/!

I was looking forward to the FHE barbeque in the park that night. I went home beforehand to get directions. I decided to get the mail- just bills, of course. That was such exciting reading that I dozed off in the chair, completely missing the BBQ. Drat.

My roommate gave me some fudge and said everybody has days like that.
Even in Australia.


To meet Alexander online, check out: http://kennedy-center.org/multimedia/storytimeonline/alexander.html

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, what a day! Hope things get better at work!

    By the way, I love that book, too. And even though you were writing about a bad day, your post had me laughing. :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete